Aluminum frame systems

With a history of 30 years, aluminum frame systems have the most widespread application in the construction industry. That's because aluminum is lightweight with minimal maintenance. In the market there are many qualities, with large price range. Their quality depends on factors such as' adequate sealing, which aluminum alloy is used, protective coating, quality of the components etc.

The advantages of aluminum frames, compared with other materials, are the following:

  • better functionality and performance, over time
  • better durability, over time
  • ability of constructing frames for medium and large size openings
  • high resistance to weathering
  • light weight
  • not affected by microorganisms and mold
  • widely used in special applications
  • powder coating in any RAL color, special woodgrain patterns and other surface processing methods- anodizing
  • recyclable material

On the other hand, aluminum frames, have the following disadvantages:

  • low range series have a low thermal coefficient with respect to the P.V.C frames
  • higher costs than the P.V.C frames  

P.V.C frames or plastic frames

P.V.C frames began to appear in the market since the 90s and are known as plastic frames. PVC is the name for  poly vinyl chloride, which, unlike most plastics, comprises only 43% of oil, while the remaining 57% is the common cooking salt. For their construction is mainly used hard PVC, PVC-U or u-PVC, in bars for both the sheet and the frame.

The advantages of P.V.C frames, are the following:

  • silent operation and no maintenance
  • high weather resistance, suitable for coastal areas
  • high resistance to fire
  • high thermal insulation
  • not affected by microorganisms
  • high sound insulation
  • variety of types, colors, and particularly variety in dimensions
  • lowest cost compared to other types of frames
  • is a complete recyclable material

On the other hand, P.V.C frames have the following drawback:

  • deterioration (appearance of surface cracks and discoloration) by UV radiation and temperature range. Today, this problem is slowly overcome with the new EU standards, according to which it is necessary to coat the outer layer with thin metallic thermal galvanizing.

Wooden frames

Wood is the oldest and most common material for building frames. As the material is natural, it has good mechanical properties and can be easily processed. Timber, depending on the density of the material is divided into two categories' hard and heavy (mahogany, chestnut, oak, etc.) on the one hand and soft and light (Swedish wood, pine, etc.) on the other. Most importantly, is that selected timber to be of high quality and be properly processed and placed correctly.

Wooden frames have the following advantages:

  • exhibit exceptional thermal insulation capabilities
  • present unique sound insulation
  • create a sense of warmth and hospitality
  • contribute significantly to the luxurious appearance of the construction
  • easy color change

On the other have the following disadvantages:

  • are vulnerable to external factors and climatic conditions
  • attacked by microorganisms
  • need maintenance at regular intervals (3 to 5 years)
  • increased cost

When you ask yourself what kind of external frame to choose, the answer depends on a number of factors such as cost, location, strength and subjective preference of every person. MasterDom will help you make the correct choice.